Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sep-23-2010 11:30:am

carollee57
Visitor

beadwork on wool wrap dress

Kwai Kwai
I am working on a wrap dress and was looking for sudgestions on how to stablize the boder in order to work on it.

#2 Sep-23-2010 11:49:am

Tokipahkinao

Re: beadwork on wool wrap dress

HE!

Are you talking about a Delaware woman's wrap skirt (overlapping on right hip?)  Do you mean
            edge beading over appliqued ribbon work. 

I have never seen beading covering the whole skirt or in place instead of ribbon work. My skirt was
            made by Margaret Bird, who had permission to reproduce Nora Dean's  "copyrighted "
            design.

Of course this was many years ago, and since I have not been able to get out to OKLA for  the
            annual Delaware Pow-Wow,  styles may   have changed  to more modern designs.  (I hope not!)

Tokipahkinao

(  MaryEllen Flynn}

#3 Sep-23-2010 11:59:am

carollee57
Visitor

Thank you for replying, I am abenaki so in that regard they are basically the same. I am trying to figure out how to create a stiff surface to work on as it is too thick for a hoop or regular frame;)

#4 Sep-23-2010 04:24:pm

Chevy

can you use an embroidry hoop to do it?  They come in different sizes.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod … D=prd12001

#5 Sep-23-2010 04:25:pm

Chevy

Oh you said it was too thick for a hoop, hmmm.

#6 Sep-23-2010 04:30:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I don't do beadwork but I used to do a lot of embroidery. I have used styrofoam and cut two pieces to 'sandwich' a heavy piece in to. Also have cut the lids of heavy plastic (think five gallon bucket, those big ice cream buckets) either taping or pinning the fabric to itself. If that makes sense lol. It is a bit hard to work with. I'd suggest you take a look around your house and be creative. Think outside of the hoop! lol Good luck and welcome!

#7 Sep-25-2010 09:29:am

wabiseet
Visitor

The best thig to use is a tear away stabilzer used for machine embroidery. If your wool is too thick for a hoop then that should be beefy enough to bead on without stiffening.
Otherwise a tearaway stabilizer like I said would be suitable, just be very careful when removing it when you are done. Oh, and be sure to use it as a backing. You can baste it into place.
Adio

Board footer