Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-27-2010 12:19:am

Whitesage
Visitor

Kanatsiohare:ke 2010 Strawberry Festival

http://www.mohawkcommunity.org
Information about 2010 Strawberry festival at the Mohawk Community at Kanatsiohare:ke in Fonda, NY. I've never been, but a number of people have told me it is an incredible event to attend. I think it would be great just to be in Uncle Tom's presence and drink in the wisdom he imparts...which usually hits you a few weeks or more after a "Benign" conversation! Has anyone here ever gone? or is planning on going this year?

#2 May-27-2010 08:25:am

lenape

Re: Kanatsiohare:ke 2010 Strawberry Festival

I have been up there a couple times, we used to drum at a powwow just down the street from this community.  Can't say that we were all that impressed, however I am not a huge fan of Tom Porter, but it was a commercial Eastern Style "Powwow", nothing to write home about.

Not sure about "....drinking in his wisdom..." but there was a little bar just down the road that some of the guys had a good time "drinking in..."

#3 May-27-2010 04:54:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

Wow, Speak your Truth Lenape!

#4 May-29-2010 12:35:pm

bls926
Administrator

lenape wrote:

I have been up there a couple times, we used to drum at a powwow just down the street from this community.  Can't say that we were all that impressed, however I am not a huge fan of Tom Porter, but it was a commercial Eastern Style "Powwow", nothing to write home about.

Not sure about "....drinking in his wisdom..." but there was a little bar just down the road that some of the guys had a good time "drinking in..."

Mark spoke well of Tom Porter. Lenape, you obviously don't share his opinion. Care to elaborate? I don't know him, so can only go by what others say.

#5 May-29-2010 04:34:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

I know a lot of people have an automatic "new age weirdo" sheild that goes up whenever something that smacks even slightly of mysticism comes into range, and rightfully so. Be wise about all you associations, but I have to tell you...Tom's the real deal. And I dare say, he can sum up the contents of one's character in about a minute, and if he doesn't like what a person's got going on inside, he'll turn his back right to you and walk away or he can take you in like his own child. And he's tough on doing the right thing. Ya know Lenape, I'm sorry i was salty with you, but ya hit a nerve. If it wasn't for Uncle, I don't know how well I would be right now.

#6 Jun-01-2010 06:47:pm

lenape

bls926 wrote:

lenape wrote:

Mark spoke well of Tom Porter. Lenape, you obviously don't share his opinion. Care to elaborate? I don't know him, so can only go by what others say.

Just have some different "views" on things, I also do not go to a powwow to get baffled by mysticism being tossed around, LOL, despite what some folks think that is not what they are about....  We also disagreed on some "Iroquois" borrowings of Lenape culture, while I can not speak on Mohawk, or "Iroquois", I do know my own culture...

So, in hopes that my post was not taken out of context, *I* personally would not go to one of the public events up there looking for more than a powwow, nothing more nothing less...  *I* personally would not got to Tom Porter for guidance, 1) because I am not Mohawk, so there is not much he can offer me, 2) I personally don't see what others do, and it is not about "putting up barriers..." I have been around Indian People of all kinds all my life....

This does not mean that he is a "bad" person, LOL, who am I to say such a thing, and if you are looking for an Eastern Powwow then by all means go, it is better than most of the mish-mash Plains style powwows, but it is a Powwow.

Last edited by lenape (Jun-01-2010 09:11:pm)

#7 Jun-01-2010 08:30:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

Thanks for your candor Lenape, I truly do appreciate it. I completely understand your point. When I first met Tom, I wasn't expecting what I got...whew...at all! I was totally happy wallowing in my own sin...hell, I probabley would have joined the group down at the local "tappy" up until that 1st meeting. He's given me so much, and I love that Uncle dearly. Thank you for replying in such a kind manner.

#8 Jun-01-2010 08:38:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

It sounds like that pow wow will be like a Burlington Co. Reed family reunion...so I'll feel right at home on both counts. I found out today, I got time off to go, so if anyone from the area was thinking of going and needs a ride in exchange for help with the driving, let me know. I'll be leaving early Friday the 25th and returning Sunday or Monday. Was thinking of visiting the Blessed Kateri shrine in Auriesville if the opportunity presents.

#9 Jun-09-2010 09:23:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

www.indiantradesilver.com
a little shameless self promotion

#10 Jun-09-2010 09:25:pm

Whitesage
Visitor

Whitesage wrote:

www.indiantradesilver.com