Announcement

#1 Oct-20-2006 11:30:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Anti-Indian groups back non-Indian over Red Lake

http://indianz.com/News/2006/016509.asp

Anti-Indian groups back non-Indian over Red Lake
Friday, October 20, 2006

Three anti-Indian groups are supporting and raising funds for a non-Indian man who was convicted of trespassing on the Red Lake Nation in Minnesota.

Proper Economic Resource Management, Citizens Equal Rights Alliance, and the Mille Lacs Equal Rights Foundation are supporting Jerry Mueller, who was fined $1,300 for illegal fishing on Red Lake. The Mille Lacs Equal Rights Foundation has set up a bank account to raise money for Mueller.

Muelle plans to appeal his fine to the Red Lake appeals court. If he loses, he indicates he will take the case to federal court.

PERM and the other groups oppose tribal jurisdiction over non-Indians. CERA recently opposed tribal jurisdiction over all Indians in a case that was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court.

#2 Oct-21-2006 01:58:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Anti-Indian groups back non-Indian over Red Lake

from rlnn.com

Angler convicted by tribal court

Associated Press

RED LAKE, MINN. - A Princeton, Minn., man who said he and his son-in-law accidentally strayed into Red Lake tribal waters in May has been convicted of trespassing.

Jerry Mueller had pleaded not guilty. He was convicted Thursday in tribal court and ordered to pay a $1,300 fine. Mueller said he will appeal.

His son-in-law, Jonathan Hempstead, pleaded guilty. He was fined $200 plus a $300 storage fee, and ordered to write a letter of apology.

Minnesota-licensed anglers can fish legally on the eastern part of Upper Red Lake, but the rest of the lake is under tribal jurisdiction. State officials have published the coordinates and maps of the boundary and they recommend boaters use global positioning devices to track their position on the lake.

#3 Oct-22-2006 01:26:pm

bls926
Administrator

If an Indian broke a law in Princeton, MN he would be tried by the local courts. Why should the rules be any different for a white man breaking a law on the reservation? They shouldn't be any different. Jerry Mueller broke the law on the reservation. He was rightfully charged, tried and convicted by Red Lake tribal courts. This is as it should be. But, leave it to the anti-Indian groups to get involved in matters that are none of their business. Next thing you know, One Nation United will be sending an attorney to help with Mueller's appeal. Wish it would go to the Supreme Court and they would make a ruling in favor of the Red Lake Reservation. Maybe that would send a message to anti-sovereignty groups once and for all.

Edited for typo

#4 Oct-22-2006 01:30:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

From: http://www.ratical.org/ratville/NewTerminators.html

Major Themes in the Anti-sovereignty Movement

Zoltan Grossman, author of When Hate Groups Come to Town (1992), identified three major factors which unite anti-sovereignty advocates:

The call for "equal rights for whites." This concept is based on the assumption that increased political and jurisdictional power of the tribes infringes on the liberties of the individual American taxpayer.

Access to natural resources. These resources can be fish or game, land or water, but the case is the same: no citizens should have "special rights" to use the resources. The case is made in anti-treaty pamphlets such as Are We Giving America Back to the Indians?, and 200 Million Custers, and the ironically titled book Don't Blame the Indians: Native Americans and the Mechanized Destruction of Fish and Wildlife by Massachusetts writer Ted Williams.

Economic dependency. In a rural reflection of the "welfare Cadillac" myths used against urban African-Americans, all reservation Indians are said to wallow in welfare, food stamps, free housing and medical care, affirmative-action programs, and gargantuan federal cash payments, all tax-free, of course. (No one has to pay state sales tax on reservations, but otherwise Indians have had virtually identical tax obligations as non-Indians.) (Grossman)

#5 Oct-22-2006 01:59:pm

bls926
Administrator

This is just so much propaganda. White America continues to think of themselves as privileged. "Equal rights for whites"? American Indians were forced off their lands, forced onto reservations. Now white America wants to cry because they can't hunt or fish on reservation lands? They want to throw a fit because there are natural resources on a few of the reservations and the legal inhabitants of those lands have jurisdiction over those resources? As the article states, American Indians pay all federal and state taxes, other than state sales tax on reservations. If they buy something off reservation, they pay state sales tax. Indians are not getting a free ride. Welfare state? Yeah . . . Those homes are really upscale; those federal cash payments are astronomical; the medical care is state-of-the-art. No Indian living on the reservation, dependent on federal welfare, is living the high life. This is all propaganda put out by colonial-minded bigots. Whites that still think they are entitled to what is not theirs.

#6 Oct-22-2006 02:06:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Ahh but bls how do you really feel? LOL  wink

Suggestion to some if you feel you want to. rlnn.com takes letters to the editor. I'm not a writer myself, obviously. Michael is really good at publishing things there and getting back to emails.

For example here's a great one I just saw.

http://www.rlnn.com/ArtOct06/LTRNonMemb … dLake.html

#7 Oct-22-2006 02:35:pm

bls926
Administrator

I didn't cuss. lol I know I tend to get up on my soapbox from time to time. I can't help myself when it's a subject I'm passionate about. Too intense?

#8 Oct-22-2006 02:41:pm

vanillaindian

<<all reservation Indians are said to wallow  in welfare, food stamps, free housing and medical care, affirmative-action programs, and gargantuan federal cash payments, all tax-free, of course. (No one has to pay state sales tax on reservations, but otherwise Indians have had virtually identical tax obligations as non-Indians.)>>>
WALLOW????????????? Because they are sovereign and are given what they deserve? Ya know, in a way, I guess if I WERE indian, I might be on a plane to Washington to give the pres a piece of my mind, if not something else! I HATE reading this stuff because it makes me so mad. My neighbor said awhile back, "those indians are lucky they can sell gas and cigs and get rich". My answer "those indians deserve every dam thing they can get after the years they lived with almost nothing!". She never said another word to me about "indians", LOL![/b]

#9 Oct-22-2006 02:46:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I didn't cuss. lol I know I tend to get up on my soapbox from time to time. I can't help myself when it's a subject I'm passionate about. Too intense?

Absolutely not! Love your passion for issues that really need it. IMO we need more people to do that, and follow through.

My soapbox is getting a little run down from standing on it so much.

/pb.php?url=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/woodlandindians/soapbox.gif

Board footer