Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-18-2017 01:05:am

Suckachsinheet

People of the Earth

I recently ran across a concept I wanted to put into NU. An unnamed Lakota elder suggested that people like myself, who have no blood relationship to American Indians but try to live out the culture anyhow, could be referred to as belonging to the Maka Oyate, People of the Earth or Earth People. So I pulled out the NU lexicon and the language lessons and tried to figure out how best to construct that.

The brute force method, which is always wrong, yielded "lenapewak hacki". Trying to use a prenoun construction yeilded "hacki lenapewak" though I was uncertain if there was some conversion necessary. And then I ran across the idea of a participle, but I couldn't find where that construct was introduced in the lessons. I'm thinking I should end up with something that ends in -tschik like "hackitschik" but my feeble NU skills ran out at that point.

Am I completely off-target?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#2 Jan-18-2017 09:59:am

sschkaak
Website

Re: People of the Earth

You're not far off, Paul.  Denke uses the phrase, "awessissak untschi hakink" = 'beasts of the Earth.'  So, 'people of the Earth' would simply be "lenapewak untschi hakink."  [Note: haki and hacki are just alternate spellings used by the Moravians.]

#3 Jan-18-2017 10:37:am

Suckachsinheet

I remembered considering the "untschi" variation after I posted, but I still wouldn't have gotten it quite right. I wasn't sure about the locative suffix for hacki. Anischi!

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Jan-18-2017 11:18:am

sschkaak
Website

You might get away without using the locative suffix, but the Moravians "always" use it.  (I put that in quotes because there's usually an exception, somewhere, that proves the rule for anything.  LOL!)

#5 Jan-21-2017 05:46:am

sschkaak
Website

I should have pointed out that the rationale for using the locative suffix, in a phrase like this, is to make absolutely clear to which noun the particle, "untschi," belongs.  Since syntax (word order) is less important in Delaware than in English (on the whole), "lenapewak untschi haki" could mean 'Earth of the people" or "people of the Earth."  By using "hakink" the meaning is made unambiguous.

Board footer