Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jun-10-2016 08:12:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

The LumbeeTribe Regional DNA Project

Full information: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/lumbee-tribe/about

The LUMBEE TRIBE was initially known as the Cheraws and they were originally from the Danville, Virginia area prior to 1703. In 1703 they left Danville and settled in what became known as the Cheraws District of South Carolina (present day Chesterfield Co., SC). Today, the Lumbees are primarily located in Robeson Co., North Carolina and the surrounding counties, plus significant Lumbee populations are located in the Detroit, Michigan and Baltimore, Maryland areas.

The LUMBEE TRIBE Regional DNA Project is open to anyone who believes they are (or could be) descendants of a Lumbee Native American. This project is available to people who have obtained a Y-Chromosome test(direct paternal line) a mitochondrial DNA test(direct maternal line) and/or an atDNA test (Family Finder).

The primary objective of this project is to establish the genetic profile(s) for the LUMBEE Native American Tribe. In addition, the results of this project will assist family historians trace their Native American ancestry and identify genetic cousins among the Lumbee Tribe members and their descendants.

The U.S. census identifies the surnames listed below as prominent Lumbee family names.

#2 Jun-11-2016 09:00:am

sschkaak
Website

Re: The LumbeeTribe Regional DNA Project

This should prove interesting; especially since they already have a conditional form of federal recognition.

#3 Jun-11-2016 10:51:am

sschkaak
Website

I recall one scholar estimated Lumbee ancestral make-up to be about 10% American Indian.  We'll see how accurate he was.  Of course, should this prove anywhere near accurate, it's as high as many members of federally-recognized lineage-based tribes.

#4 Jun-12-2016 09:46:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I find a lot of layers of this interesting. Members of a recognized tribe contributing DNA and wanting comparison..that's big. I'm curious where this goes, and also what this does with DNA and recognition ties.  I would guess it's not going to come up as clear cut as they think.

#5 Jun-12-2016 10:55:pm

sschkaak
Website

I hope they don't have unrealistic expectations, as did the Melungeons and the Cherokee Freedmen.

#6 Jun-17-2016 06:30:pm

Chevy

It's interesting to see their haplogroups , and to see there are some IM253  !

This one is interesting: Jones     Spurgeon Jones     Wales
A welshman with IM253 haplogroup

Board footer