• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

#101 Mar-10-2018 08:16:am

Newallike
Visitor

Re: Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

sschkaak wrote:

Can't see anything and the link doesn't work for me.  Most of us used to use Photobucket, but they've really screwed us, lately--charging crazy prices for what used to be free of charge.  Anyway, I've started using Flickr and posting their links to pictures.  I don't know how to embed them in a post, here.

Click the link below to to to a 'letter to the editor' of the  Herald-Star Newspaper by Rev. Werner Lange who attended the Remembrance at the Park in Gnaddenhutten on March 8th.  It contains one typo, he says the massacre occurred 226 years ago and it was 236 years ago.  He definitely knows the difference.  He was quite outspoken about the atrocity and he gives a good account of what was actually being lived out by the Delaware and the Moravians.  He has also agreed to help in any way he can to erect a cross at this site, which he maintains, is long overdue.

http://www.heraldstaronline.com/opinion … -realized/

In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity

#102 Mar-10-2018 08:34:am

Newallike
Visitor

Another effort by the Rev. Werner Lange, with all our thanks!

Dear Cleveland Indians staff,

As you may know, March 8th marked the 236th anniversary of the brutal massacre of 96 pacifist Christian Native Americans in Gnadenhutten (“Sanctuaries of Grace� ), a sacred site just about 100 miles south of Progressive Field.
At yesterday’s moving commemoration of that American tragedy, Lenape Native American representatives announced plans to at least dignify this historic site with placement of a large cross by the mound containing the corpses of the slaughtered Indians.
As a corporation which has reaped enormous financial benefits from the marketing of the insulting “Chief Wahoo�  symbol and name “Indians� , you are strongly encouraged to contribute to this important effort. Please contact the coordinator of the
Gnadenhutten Museum and/or the pastor of the Gnadenhutten Moravian Church for further details about how you can assist making the erection of a dignified cross at this site a reality. Please also share this message with the appropriate decision makers.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rev. Dr. Werner Lange

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#103 Mar-10-2018 09:45:am

Newallike
Visitor

Based on the suggestion of Rev. Werner Lange, here is my effort to contact the Cleveland Indians Charities group.

My name is Gerard Heath.  I am a current member of the Moravian Band of the Delaware Indians, now known as the Delaware Nation at Moraviantown.

March 8th 2018, was the 236th anniversary of the Gnadenhutten Massacre of the Moravian Delaware Indians.  If you do not know, Gnadenhutten is the oldest existing settlement in the state of Ohio.  The remains of these 96 Christian Indians lay exposed to the forest animals and the weather for over 15 years before being piled in a mass grave called the Burial Mound for the Christian Indian Martyrs.  The Ohio Historical Society erected a marker at the site that calls the Gnadenhutten Massacre of March 8th 1782 a National Day of Shame.

My great great grandfather, Christian Moses Stonefish, dedicated the obelisk that stands in the Gnadenhutten Historical Park, erected as a memorial in 1872, and it is my family interred in that burial mound.  It is for this reason I am trying to raise awareness of the day and to raise funds to erect a Christian Cross at the burial mound and erect wrought iron fencing around other appropriate areas in the park.

We are thankful that Chief Wahoo is being removed from your uniforms next year but I would like you to go one step further.  As a show of good faith, and in an effort to make amends, it would be a great public relations effort if the Cleveland Indians donated the money to erect the cross and wrought iron fencing.

I have gone over your website, particularly your 'Diversity Advisory Board' section and was disappointed to see many minority groups represented such as the National Society of Hispanic MBAs, the National Black MBA Association, the Ohio Latino Affairs Commission, and others but no representation from the Native American community.  I am also sure that this is something you want to resolve and if I can help in any way, please let me know.

Follow this link to a YouTube video that tells the story of the massacre and speaks to my request to erect a Christian Cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0-ME64L64&t=1s  A Cross for Gnadenhutten

Please contact me for details about the site or the massacre and how the Cleveland Indians can get involved in preserving and promoting this sacred site. 

Tax deductible deductions can be sent to:

The Gnadenhutten Historical Society - Christian Cross Project

c/o John Heil

156 Spring St.

Gnadenhutten, Ohio  44629

Thank you for considering my request and may God bless you for your support of these Wilderness Christians.

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

Board footer